Sunday, July 10, 2011

California then Delhi

It's architecture like this I came to see, Humayan's tomb, built by his senior wife in 1565. Beautiful Persian architecture with formal gardens, like a prayer rug, Paradise on earth.

First two days of intense study about India at Berkeley in California.
Then fly to Newark airport and then non-stop to Delhi.

Only 14 hours of flying and 16 Fulbright Scholars land in Delhi, India.
We are presented with bouquets of roses,
it's hot and humid and dogs are EVERYWHERE!

I have no idea what time it is or what day it is but the view from my room
in the Taj Mahal hotel is magnificent.

Catching up on local news.

The beginning of our program and lighting the flame for "truth".

Lots and lots of sleepy dogs.

Kathy, me and Megan at Qutb Minar (tower).

Built in 1193 by Qutbuddin Aibak for the "Might of Islam".

Quwwat-ul-Islam Mosque ruins. Pillars use Hindu motifs of bells and garlands. To create the Mosque, many parts were used from razed Hindu temples that were nearby.

The reception for Fulbright Scholars. I meet my new fellow teachers who visited America. Rashmi is on the far left and my new friend in India. I'll visit her school later in the week.

The Ambassador from Austria and his wife, the eminent Kathak classical Indian dancer
Ms. Shovana Narayana. I'll be getting Kathak dance lessons from her at the Cultural Center.
But first he made me practice German with him.

The view from the terrace of Humayan's Tomb.

Patterns!

Maintaining using old tools and techniques.


Going out to eat...from left, Gretchn, Megan, Ida, me and Viktoria.


No comments:

Post a Comment